Thursday, February 4, 2010

How Many People Did Not Pay Alled Waste?

Even though I hate to do this, I feel I have no choice. I would much rather be able to name names, but my informant wishes to stay anonymous--so I'm keeping him/her anonymous.

It appears one of the councilmen asked R. Graham from Allied Waste to let him know how many people did not pay. It took a week and a few emails, but here is the answer: "A little over 900 residents have not paid, but this number may be lower because some of the residents are actually vacant lots."

Furtehrmore, my informant has let me know that the city has not started prosecuting for nonpayment--remember the contract between Allied Waste and the City of Jefferson has the city enforcing payment--because of the 47 or so families the city had planned to assist with payments. Because they will not receive assistance, they are now included in the list for nonpayment.

Watch for court summons to be issued soon.

2 comments:

  1. When I heard about the new trash ordinance passed by the city council I was (and still am) livid. I live by myself and generate very little trash. For that reason I used the bags, setting out on average about 1 bag a week, at about $1.50 per bag. For fear of prosecution I did pay the bill (under protest), but when they set the two bins in front of my house I left them in the street unused. I came home one day the bins were sitting next to my house. I called Allied and told them they had no right to come across my yard and put the bins where they did, and I set the bins back out in the street. A few days later they were gone. I have not paid the bill due in February, so I got a "courtesy call" from Allied. I told them of course I would pay the bill, even though I have not used the service, because really the most important thing is that they get paid. Right?

    I'm surprised no one has brought this up as a Hancock Amendment violation. I keep thinking I will -- does anyone know if any legal action has been started? As I see it, it is a required TAX that did not go to a vote of the people. I'll have to say that, if it had gone to a vote of the people and the people said "yes, of course I will separate my trash for you and pay you much more for the privilege of doing so" -- I might still complain, but I'll have to admit that it was voted on. Still think I'll file suit if no one has.

    I'd also like to know if there has been any true benefit (except for Allied, and for the city in the sales tax that's included on the bill). Seems I heard that the total costs of -- and maybe the energy expended on -- recycling didn't really make it cost or energy efficient.

    And, no, my trash is not piling up and I'm not doing anything illegal to get rid of it. That's all I have to say about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a group that is doing something about this. You can contact them at 573-635-7207. Ask for Arthur Brown.

    ReplyDelete